Goodnight CoCo

It may be a little while, now since this was headline grabbing news, but I feel like commenting briefly!


Conan O’Brien and the NBC TV show/scheduling debacle!!

I can not say that I am particularly familiar with any of Conan’s work. To my knowledge, these TV shows are not aired on British television.

I do remember some years back, that for a short time “The Late Show” with David Letterman was shown, which I watched and enjoyed. I believe this was not long after Jay leno had taken over from Letterman as host of the “Tonight Show”?

However, I have not seen any of the Jay leno shows, aired regularly.

A few Leno clips are shown every now and then, but to the best of my knowledge regular British airings have not occurred on my watch!

So, forward to more recent times, I recall when Conan O’Brien took over as host of “The Tonight Show”.
This made the news, though again, no British airing that I am aware of.

Again, a few Conan O’Brien clips were shown sporadically. So, basically I recognise his face, know he’s American and know he does comedy! Beyond that my familiarity wanes.

So with the recent events, which to seem to me; to be NBC wielding their corporate weight (However, ill judged!) and shuffling the scheduling as they deem fit, regardless of consumer (viewer) opinion!

Whatever NBC’s reasons for the changes, they seem to be ill-handled, indelicate and inelegant!

So, I'm unable then, to have had an allegiance to either, Team Leno, or Team CoCo.

I actually think that neither Leno, OR O’Brien have been treated particularly well by NBC!

I have not had the opportunity to see any of Leno’s reactions to these events and moreover, still have not seen any of these programmes aired on British TV.

Some grossly exorbitant compensatory amounts have been reported; some as high as US$40M, for NBC to buy O’Brien out of his contract!

I do not fully understand the intricacies’ of TV Production costs, or exactly what this figure is to compensate for?

So my only comment can be WOW, That’s a LOT of money! Be it deserved, or not.

The only thing that has REALLY impressed me throughout this apparent debacle was the response from Conan O’Brien.

I managed to see the closing monologue of Conan O’Brien, at the end of his final show.
Forgetting all of the Hype, all of the Rumours and all of the Dollars; what really struck me, was the respect with which O’Brien afforded his estranged employers and his viewing public.
Avoiding the obvious temptation to launch into vitriolic diatribe, against NBC, Leno, or anyone else vaguely connected with the situation! Staying calm, concise and lucid! (though I did sense a momentary and minor break of emotion at one point!)
OK, He may have had the opportunity to script this well beforehand and perhaps, have help with doing so.
No matter, O’Brien delivered that closing speech, with composed dignity, honour and sincerity!

His words on cynicism, I thought, were particularly special!

Conan O’Brien. I salute you, Sir!

You have my respect and admiration!

I hope that you move onward to wonderful projects and are worthily successful, with them!

To Jay Leno, It seems you have been stuck with a bit of a lemon here! Given the circumstances regarding the re-shuffle, I should imagine there will be left a slightly bitter after taste, to once again be hosting a show you love?!
I hope you do a good job and that the furore is soon forgotten!

To NBC and ALL Television networks, I say –
Prize your viewing public first!
Take care of your Talent and staff!
THEN, make sure that as a company that more money is made than is spent!

Prioritising PROFIT is the surest way to sabotage customer care and awareness!!
This is true for ALL businesses! Regardless of how many of them have forgotten it!!...

  • I loved Conan very much. He was an integral part of my adolescence and college years. I mean, we are talking quotable comedy. I went to many tapings when his show was here in New York, and it was always a great time. I did not see him on The Tonight Show except for occasional online views, as I'm past the capacity to stay up past 11 these days, alas.

    I think it's absurd that they were deriding his ratings 7 months into his run; his previous show had low ratings for the first few years, they kept saying he'd be canceled, and he lasted over a decade doing his thing.

    Not to mention he uprooted his family and the families of his writers and other loyal crew, and while they are getting decent payouts, I'm sure they wanted the show to succeed too!

    He always seemed genuinely interested in his guests and always able to laugh at himself. I briefly worked at NBC in retail, but all NBC employees used the same canteen. My first day some genius coworker shouted out, "That looks like Conan!" (as if you'd make a mistake about it?) I looked around, and said, "Where?" Suddenly his lovely huge head appeared over the cafe partition where we were seated, and he said hello, frightening us half to death and making us laugh heartily. It's so overused, but he really is a "class act." I hope he comes back to NY and does wonderful things.

    If you can, find the online clips of his oldtime baseball, trip to Finland, and trip to Ireland. Classic. And of course, we musn't forget his spot on impression of GW Bush. :)

  • Well done sir - not familiar with Conan or his work, but a good and interesting read nonetheless.