The Talented Mr Fry-please

I’m feeling quite in the mood to divulge my thoughts, regarding the patron and benefactor of; the marvellously mellow and magnificent, Twitter gathering place called #frys

The thoroughly fluffy man himself, Mr Stephen Fry!

For most of my adult life, I have had the pleasure of enjoying the televisual exploits of one, Stephen Fry
In one form or another, this man has brought the elements of humour, satire and intellect, into my life, to name but a few!

With such erudition and a rapier wit, his performances become a pleasure to behold.

Though undoubtedly an intellectual heavyweight, I find Stephen Fry to be consistently self effacing, self deprecating and never afraid to adopt the role of an amiable fool, should it likely enhance the humour of the situation.
(It should be noted that it takes a clever individual to know how to humorously act the fool, without actually looking stupid!)

Don’t get me wrong! I am not extolling Stephen Fry to be perfect. After all he is, but human.
(Show me a perfect human and I shall gladly eat my left arm!!)

It is with some certainty, that I suggest Stephen Fry to be human and as such, must assume that he will have certain joys and passions, which are NOT shared by the collective humanity!
In the same way that I like gherkins in my burgers, yet friends of mine believe them to be the fruit of the devil!
Therefore, it seems simply idiotic, to expect that everything such a man does, to be enjoyed by the entirety of the world!

It seems to be part of the human condition, that as a “collective”, at the soonest opportunity, we love to shoot down the successful in our societies!
Perhaps that is more to do with our own lack of self confidence, than our implicit desire to damage the esteem of another?!
Anyway, I digress!
I suggest only, that it is unfair to expect everything that Stephen Fry turns his hand to, to be appreciated by everyone!
I, myself, have not found thus far, anything to be short of pleasurable.
I HAVE enjoyed some things better than others, but that is as a result of my own personal tastes, which I choose not to detail within this post!

I would not dream of suggesting that anybody, consider any material to be less than pleasurable, simply because I thought so!!
In my mind, this would be in extremely bad taste and say FAR more about the complainer, than it ever could about the subject!!

I certainly do NOT rely on the opinions of critics, in order to form my own opinions!
You could perhaps say then, that I am not quite suited to this modern age of media?
To that, I would retort, use every apparatus to your advantage! I enjoy these modern media’s!
Right now, I am currently voicing my opinions on my Blog! ON THE INTERNET!!
However, take note that I am not instructing, or even suggesting that you form an opinion about anything.
Rather, I am trying to convey my thoughts and opinions openly and without bias, in an open forum.
I expect that some people may agree, and some people may not. I’m OK with that. I do NOT expect everyone to concur.
I can happily let others enjoy something, which I do not enjoy myself. I cast no aspersions, upon either the people, or the subject!
These are my opinions and mine alone!
If you do not agree with them, I shall NOT be upset!
Actually I shall be honoured, that you have chosen to read my transcribed thoughts with an open mind!
The conclusion you come to should be YOURS, and yours ALONE!!

Noticing that I have diverted from the general subject of this post, let me now attempt to re-gain direction!

Stephen Fry has managed to be part of, quite an array of different TV programmes, Cinema and Theatre.
With such a variety, it is unlikely that everyone will like everything.
However, recently, I observed rather an unpleasant trend, throughout the media’s!

What seemed rather like, an unprovoked backlash, against Stephen Fry!
This trend attacked the more commercial nature of the “American” programme!
(which went on to win a National Television Award)
Then moving on to attack Stephen Fry’s use of Twitter!!

For all of “those” who either conceived the attack, or fuelled it once begun, I say this!-

Television programmes are made for those who want to watch! If you DON’T LIKE IT, DON’T WATCH IT!!!!
I have a deep aversion to all Soap operas! However, I do not try to force these opinions onto you!!

Twitter is a formally burgeoning, now hugely popular method of micro (blogging) communication.
It is necessary to either search, or follow every tweeter, in order to see their tweets.
Should you ever find a tweeter, whose tweets you do not like, DO NOT SEARCH, or UNFOLLOW!!!

Nobody forces anyone to read tweets, or watch TV, or follow any media, for that matter!
As my Mother used to say, “If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all”!!

SOCIAL COMMENTARY now over, let me return to the original theme!

Stephen Fry was the first person, celebrity or not, that I chose to follow on twitter. To this date, he is still one of the most impressive; despite his recent enforced, hiatus’s!
Few celebrities have fully seized the opportunity that Twitter gives them, in the same way as @stephenfry!
Even his extended family indulge in “Tweeting”
With his open and honest “tweets” he has cultivated quite an impressive following, in excess of 1 million at last count!
Utilising the twitter platform to an impressive degree, hosting quizzes and not forgetting his patronage of #frys!

Without such tweeters, I doubt that Twitter would be quite the community it is today?!
I have “tweeted” with many fine “Tweeps”, many of which I have met via following @stephenfry

I have every intention of continuing my use of twitter, for as long as other Tweeps speak to me!
I certainly look forward to the time when @stephenfry returns from his writing sabbatical, to once again bring a little sunshine to the “Twitterverse”!
Until that time I shall be well entertained by the other fin Tweeps I have met along the way!

Have fun with your writing Mr Fry!
I will be expecting a round of Spampagne for ALL, when you return to #frys!

If you are still reading, I humbly thank you for tolerating my opinions and urge you to find your own!
If they happen to agree, then great! If they don’t, then STILL great! I shall respect you all equally!

If you have not already, but would like to visit #frys, simply twitter search the hashtag [#frys]

If you find me in there (I do partake in a little #frys revelry, every now and then), I shall be delighted to get you a drink!

Until then, Stay Fluffy (as my friend @JustVero would say)!!


Note: The Management accepts no responsibility for the thoughts and opinions inside his head, however expressed. All such thoughts and opinions are subject to change without prior notice!!

;oP

  • Great post!!

    I can tell from this and our brief interactions on Twitter that we share many thoughts and opinions. To quote Billy Connolly "Nothing is bad. If you don't like it, it is because it is not for you"

    Keep blogging and I look forward to reading more in the future.

  • A wonderful post! I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to say to people, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!" It's something that apparently people need to be reminded.

    Having said that, I really enjoyed this post and am looking forward to many more to come!

  • I loved this post ! I am astounded and yet not , about the number of people that Stephen Fry has influenced. I find him brilliant and incredibly funny and he has often been the reason my spirits were lifted !
    I hope you keep blogging and I look forward to the next post !

  • Stephen who?
    Excellent post about a quite brilliant man!